Turkish vessels to enforce embargo on arms exports to Libya
Read on the website Vestnik KavkazaTurkey will provide 5 military vessels and a submarine to enforce the embargo on arms exports to Libya within the framework of the NATO operation, RIA Novosti cites local media and NATO headquarters.
Turkey has not given official confirmation of the information.
Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan said that Turkey will not use arms against Libya.
NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said earlier that Admiral James Starvidis, Commander of the alliance in Europe, will use vessels and aircraft in the Central Mediterranean.
General Brigadier Pier Sen-Aman, Commander of NATO forces in Europe, confirmed on Wednesday that enforcement of the embargo had begun.
Ankara blocked NATO from establishing a no-fly zone over Libya. Turkey said at the NATO Security Council on Sunday that it will not support the military operation in Libya if it turns into an occupation of the Arab state.