Armenian-Turkish protocols frozen

Read on the website Vestnik Kavkaza

"The protocols signed with Armenia haven't died. You may say they have been put on ice. If you analyze the processes, you will see that our relations with Armenia are better in comparison with last year's situation. Relations with Azerbaijan are better", Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmad Davudoglu told a journalist of the newspaper Milliyat, Taha Akyola, APA reports. The newspaper expresses the opinion that silent diplomacy should be pursued in accordance with oral agreement between the sides in the next few months and there shouldn't be any statements  alarming the public.

As reports Milliyat, the Armenian occupation and historical issues were discussed at secret negotiations with Armenia held in Switzerland: "Why these haven't been reflected in the protocols? Davudoglu recalled the constructive ambiguity method in diplomacy regarding this issue". Indeed, there are common principles connected with the Nagorno-Karabakh problem and historical debates in the protocols.

Azerbaijan had worried about Turkey's betrayal of Karabakh. But Armenia expected Turkey would be worried and ratify the protocols after freezing them - without taking any steps in the direction of the Nagorno-Karabakh problem. Armenia expected US-Turkey relations to deteriorate. But none of these things have come about. "We have managed the April 24 process well", said Davudoglu. "Silent diplomacy" is being continued on more realistic grounds.

Davudoglu said that there would be positive development in the issue of protocols within some months, and at the same time an energy agreement would be signed with Azerbaijan in the coming days: "The Prime Minister will sign the agreement in Baku. There is complete trust between our countries".