Syria withdraws forces from protest center

Read on the website Vestnik Kavkaza

Syria is withdrawing its forces from Daraa, the center of anti-government protests, RBC reports.


The military operation in the city continued for over a week. Syrian General Riad Haddad said that all the forces will leave by the end of today. He added that the forces are not suppressing protesters and are searching for terrorists.


The general said that 25 servicemen were killed in Daraa and 177 injured, France24 said.


Earlier information said that forces had been sent to Sakba, an outskirt of Damascus, where 300 people were detained. Forces are also entering Ar-Rastan. A student protest was stopped in Aleppo.


Syria has been experiencing mass protests since March 2011, inspired by unrest in Egypt and Tunisia. The protesters demand the resignation of President Bashar Al-Assad.


Local human rights organizations say that about 600 people have been killed and some 8,000 injured. Many police officers and servicemen died. Foreign journalists are not allowed to operate.


The USA, Italy and UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon have urged Assad to stop suppressing protesters. Sanctions are expected to be imposed against the Syrian authorities on May 6.