5.2-strong quake jolts eastern Turkey, no casualties reported

Read on the website Vestnik Kavkaza

An earthquake of magnitude 5.2 shook the Kiğı district of eastern Turkey's Bingöl late Friday, with no casualties or property damage reported so far, Daily Sabah reports.

Interior Ministry spokesperson Ismail Çataklı said in a statement that no casualties have been reported from Bingöl, Erzurum, Erzincan, Elazığ and Diyarbakır provinces, in which the quake was felt.

"A sweep in the region is ongoing," he said, referring to authorities' efforts to determine any possible property damage or casualty.

The Disaster and Emergency Management Authority (AFAD) said the quake struck Kiğı at 9.28 p.m. local time (6:28 p.m. GMT).

The quake occurred at a depth of 15.51 kilometers (9.63 miles) below the surface, it added.

AFAD said the distance of the quake was only 2.28 km from the closest settlement area, Aşağı Serinyer village.

At least five aftershocks were also recorded, with the largest having a magnitude of 2.6, it added.