Iran rejects missile shield threat against Turkey

Read on the website Vestnik Kavkaza

Iran dismissed intimidating remarks by its own officials against Turkey saying Tehran would target a NATO missile shield in neighboring states if threatened, Hurriyet Daily News cites the Anatolia news agency as saying on Wednesday.

"We reject those views completely," Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi told Anatolia in an interview, adding that the people who had made the "irresponsible" statements had been warned.

"The Islamic Republic of Iran's official stance on Turkey is based on deep brotherhood and friendship," he said, adding that only Iran's supreme leader, president and foreign minister were able to speak Iran's official attitude on international matters and foreign policy.

"Other statements are considered personal views," he said.

In November, the commander of the aerospace division of Iran's Revolutionary Guards said Tehran would target NATO's missile shield in neighboring Turkey's southern Malatya province if it were threatened by military action.