Ban on elections in Kazakh region lifted
Read on the website Vestnik KavkazaKazakh President Nursultan Nazarbayev has vetoed the decision of the Constitutional Council to cancel elections at Janaozen in the Mangistau District, the president’s press service said.
The president noted that the council’s decision on January 6 violates the electoral rights of people. Thus, Nazarbayev wants the local population to realize their constitutional right for vote.
Janaozen saw mass disorder on December 16. Disorders were stopped at the Shetpe Station on December 17. The latest information says that 17 people died. The president implied a state of emergency in the area on January 5, 2012. It was prolonged until January 31 on January 4.
Spokesman of the Constitutional Council Igor Rogov said earlier that there will be no parliamentary polls organized in Janaozen due to the state of emergency.
The Central Electoral Commission made a ruling on January 6 to hold elections in Janaozen on January 6.