Syria on edge of military intervention

Read on the website Vestnik Kavkaza

France considers the Syrian regime doomed, Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius said. French President Francois Hollande did not rule out on Tuesday that Syria may face a military operation approved by the UN Security Council and hopes that Russia and China allow passing of new sanctions, RIA Novosti reports.

Russia supports the regime of President Bashar al-Assad in Syria. Convincing Russia would be hard, Fabius says. NATO missile defenses in Europe would not be a matter of bargain in this case.

White House spokesman Jay Carney said that the situation in Syria would bring chaos and bloodshed. Spokeswoman of the US State Department Victoria Nuland said that the US and its allies will try to pass a resolution at the UN Security Council to use force against the regime. State Secretary Hillary Clinton reminded about article 7 of the UN Charter.

US Defense Secretary Leon Panetta and Commander of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Martin Dempsey expressed readiness for any events in Syria, including intervention. Carney said that they support the peace plan of Kofi Annan, special envoy of the UN and LAS.

Belgium called the Syrian ambassador and two diplomats of the Syrian Embassy persona non grata on Tuesday after the massacre in Houla.Ambassador Mohammad Ayman Jameel Soussan will stay in Belgium and the European Union. He became a persona non grata in the Netherlands.

Vestnik Kavkaza reported earlier that Syrian diplomats were expelled from the US, Spain, UK, Italy, Canada, France, Australia, Germany and other states on Tuesdays.

Belgian military authority Peter de Krem expressed readiness for military intervention on Tuesday, Interfax reports.

Australian Foreign Minister Bob Carr believes that military intervention is possible with approval of the UN Security Council.

The new attitude towards Syria was provoked by the massacre in Houla on May 25-26. International organizations say that over 100 people, including women and children, were killed. Most of them were shot at low range, the rest were killed by artillery fire. The UN Security Council condemned the Syrian government on May 27. Syrian authorities blame militants for the tragedy.