Syria opposition rejects Annan transitional plan

Read on the website Vestnik Kavkaza

The Syrian opposition on Sunday rejected a plan agreed by world powers that called for the formation of a transitional government to end the crisis but fell short of calling on President Bashar al-Assad to step down, Trend reported.

"We know that a political treatment is required for this complex situation, but it is not acceptable to jump over all sacrifices made by the Syrian people who demand the ouster of the regime," Syrian National Council head Abdul-Basset Sayda told the pan-Arab Asharq al-Awsat newspaper.

World powers agreed during talks in Geneva on Saturday that a Syrian transitional government that includes representatives of al-Assad's regime and the opposition be set up to end the violence, which the opposition says has so far killed more than 14,000 people.