Down syndrome march held in Taksim, Turkey

Read on the website Vestnik Kavkaza

 

Over 3,000 people from Turkey attended a parade, held simultaneously in Istanbul’s Beyoğlu neighborhood and Izmir’s Karşıyaka neighborhood, organized by the Down Syndrome Association, Hurriyet informs.

 

The “We Are Here,” parade was held in both cities Sept. 30 at 3 p.m. in conjunction with multiple other parades organized for the same cause around the world.

 

“I think one of the most important attainments of the works we have made so far is inclusion education and the right for free rehabilitation,” said head of the Down Syndrome Association Gün Bilgin in a speech before the parade started. 

 

“These rights were acquired thanks to the collaboration of families, associations, pedagogues and civil servants who understand us. With the implementation of inclusion education and life-long education our children can leave their homes,” he said.