The Bushehr nuclear power plant fulfills all security demands, spokesman of the Iranian Foreign Ministry Ramin Mehmanparast said, ITAR-TASS reports.
The diplomat said that construction of the power plant had been held by Russian specialists under control of the International Atomic Energy Agency. Fears that an accident similar to Chernobyl may happen are a result of Western concern of Iranian nuclear achievements.
The nuclear power plant in Bushehr opened on September 12, 2011. Russian Energy Minister Sergey Shmatko, head of Rosatom State Corporation Sergey Kiriyenko, Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi, head of the Organization for Nuclear Energy of Iran Fereydun Abbasi Davani, Iranian Energy Minister Majid Namju were at the opening. The plant was launched at 50% output. It has currently been shut down for tests. It will be relaunched with a 75% output in late 2011. It has a maximum output of 1000 MW.
The Times published an article in early October, stating that the nuclear facility had been built by unskilled engineers and will face the same fate as Chernobyl.