U.S. President Barack Obama announced on Saturday that the United States will not deploy any ground forces in Libya, RIA Novosti reports.
Russia's envoy to NATO Dmitry Rogozin said earlier on Saturday that any foreign military ground operations in Libya will be considered as occupying the country.
Though the United States helped in the initial command of implementing a no-fly zone over Libya, it has been pressing to turn the command duties over to NATO.
"Our military mission in Libya is clear and focused. Along with our allies and partners, we're enforcing the mandate of the United Nations Security Council. We're protecting the Libyan people from Gaddafi's forces. And we've put in place a no fly zone and other measures to prevent further atrocities," Obama said.
Western warplanes have flown more than 300 sorties over the North African country and fired 162 Tomahawk missiles in the UN-mandated mission. Libyan state media outlets have reported that dozens of people have been killed by the airstrikes.
U.S. not putting any ground forces in Libya
2720 views