The Turkish Foreign Ministry has strongly condemned as "unacceptable"
an Israeli raid on international humanitarian ships, and demanded an
official explanation from the Israeli government, reports ITAR-TASS.
The Turkish Foreign Ministry summoned also Israel's ambassador to
Ankara Gabby Levy for clarification.
Hamas on its part called on the international community to implement
sanctions against Israel and condemn the "barbaric act."
"This was a crime not just against the Palestinian nation, but against
humanity," a representative of Hamas said.
Israeli military forces stormed international ships carrying
humanitarian aid to the occupied Gaza Strip, with at least 10 people
reported killed and more than 30 injured, the mission organizers said
on Monday, reports RIA Novosti.
"Israeli commandos dropped from a helicopter onto deck of the Turkish
ship and immediately opened fire on unarmed civilians," the Free Gaza
Movement reported on the Twitter microblogging site.
Israeli TV reported that 10 people had been killed.
Palestinian media earlier quoted Turkish and Arab TV channels as
reporting that Israeli soldiers had boarded at least one ship about
150 km (90 miles) off Gaza's coast, with two people killed and 50
injured.
The Israeli military have not commented on the reports.
The six-ship Freedom Flotilla carrying some 10,000 tons of aid to Gaza
and 600 human rights activists left international waters off Cyprus's
coast on Sunday.
Israel, which has enforced a blockade against Gaza almost
uninterrupted since the radical Islamic group Hamas took control of
the enclave in the summer of 2007, has called the mission a
"provocation" and threatened to intercept the ships and deport those
aboard.
Many of the 1.5 million people living in Gaza lack sufficient supplies
of clean water and other vital items.
Israel storms Gaza aid convoy, 'over 10 dead'
3750 views