Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev has presented a list of candidates for Cabinet to President Vladimir Putin. According to the Constitution, Medvedev had a week to compose the list. Today is the deadline. Putin will start consultations tomorrow, RIA Novosti reports.
The president and the PM plan to replace 80% of the government. Kommersant reported that the Nikolai Nikiforov (Tatarstan) will replace Igor Shegolev as Minister for Communications. Rustam Minnikhanov (Tatarstan) may become the Minister for Agriculture.
Medvedev has recently met Acting Vice Premier Vladislav Surkov, head of the state legal department of the Kremlin Larisa Bryncheva, presidential assistant Arkady Dvorkovich, acting head of the government’s office minister Anton Vayno, Izvestia reports.
Surkov and Dvorkovich may enter the new Cabinet.
Medvedev said on May 10 that officials for all positions have been set.
Putin will not attend the G8 summit at Camp David on May 18-19, because he will be busy forming the new government, as stated last Thursday. Prime Minister Medvedev will attend it instead.
Medvedev said that replacement of officials should start among governors, police, municipalities, federal government.
Putin noted earlier that billionaire Mikhail Prokhorov may also be appointed. The issue will be discussed with Medvedev. The businessman himself said that he has not received any invitations and will be forming own party. Putin does not rule out opposition members in the government. The Cabinet will not become a coalition.
Igor Artemyev, head of the FAS, may also keep his position. Putin expressed satisfaction with his work.