The search continued Saturday for a pair of missing Turkish pilots whose plane was shot down by Syrian artillery earlier in the week, even as violence gripping Syria left at least 25 dead, activists said, Trend reported.
As the Turkish and Syrian navies conducted the search for the pilots off the coast of Syria's Latakia province, Turkish President Abdullah Gul suggested Saturday that their military jet may have strayed into Syrian airspace, state news agency Anatolian reported.
Responding to questions, Gul said it was routine for warplanes at high speed to briefly cross borders, but there was no "ill intention."
Gul also said parts of the wreckage of the jet had been found, but the search for the two crew members continued.
Syria admitted late Friday that it had shot down the plane, while Turkey - a member of NATO - warned it would take "the necessary steps" in the wake of the incident.
The plane, according to Turkish officials, was not carrying any weapons and was a regular reconnaissance plane.
25 killed in Syria violence, activists say
3785 views