Russia marks 40 days since Krymsk floods

Russia marks 40 days since Krymsk floods

40 days have passed since the flood in Krymsk in the Krasnodar Territory of Russia. Construction and reconstruction of housing continues. Issuing of certificates for new homes has already started. Until then, people are accommodated at local sanatoriums, RIA Novosti reports.

The regional Ministry for Social Development and Families said on Monday that 65,745 people received 10,000 rubles as aid. 128 out of 132 families received 2 million rubles for dead relatives, 24,631 people received 150,000 rubles for lost property.

Over 7,000 houses in Gelendzhik, Krymsk and Novorossiysk were flooded on July 7. About 1,700 houses were totally destroyed, 5,200 need reconstruction. 168 people died, three are still missing. The flood caused about 20 billion rubles of damage. Governor of the Krasnodar Territory Alexander Tkachyov said that it was the biggest flood in the history of the region.

Over 30,000 people were mobilized all over Russia for reconstruction at the Krymsk District.

A criminal system was initiated for infliction of death by negligence. Krymsk Mayor Vladimir Ulanovsky, former head of the krymsk District Vasily Krutko and acting head of emergency services and civil defenses of the region Victor Zhdanov were detained on July 22. Investigators say that warnings about heavy raining and rising water level had been made on July 5, but no action had been taken.

Head of the Russian Investigative Committee Alexander Bastrykin said at a council with President Vladimir Putin that information on the emergency situation in Krymsk was falsified in the morning of July 7 when it was already too late.

4560 views
We use cookies and collect personal data through Yandex.Metrica in order to provide you with the best possible experience on our website.