DHKP/C claims responsibility for the attack on U.S. Embassy

The outlawed Revolutionary People's Liberation Party/Front (DHKP/C) claimed responsibility Feb. 2 for the attack targeting the U.S. Embassy in Ankara. The leftist group justified the attack as retaliation for American policy in Iraq, Syria, Egypt and Libya in a statement published on its website, Hurriyet cites public broadcaster TRT as saying.

Earlier, Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan had confirmed reports claiming the attacker was a 30-year-old member of DHKP/C. The suspect, identified as Ecevit Şanlı, has previously spent time in prison, according to reports.

“The suicide bomber exploded the bomb right after crossing [the personnel entry] and died in the explosion. A birth mark on his head proves [his identity], but DNA tests will be carried out to make sure. It is clear that he is a member of DHKP/C. He has perpetrated such attacks before,” he said, during a live TV interview on private broadcaster Haberturk.

Erdoğan also played down claims that the attack might be related to Turkey’s position on the Syria crisis. “I don't reach to this conclusion. You know that the DHKP/C made some other attempts lately, but Turkey is taking steps against terrorism as well,” said Erdoğan, highlighting the recent police raids against lawyers and alleged members of the leftist group.

2775 views
We use cookies and collect personal data through Yandex.Metrica in order to provide you with the best possible experience on our website.