Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu criticized the Constitutional Court’s ruling that found the Telecommunications Directorate’s (TİB) authority to close websites within four hours on the basis of national security, protecting public order or preventing crime “unconstitutional,” Hurriyet Daily News reports.
“The Constitutional Court may be perceived as a hero of liberty by some circles, but it can’t protect my rights,” Davutoğlu said in a televised interview Oct. 2.
Somebody made a call on a Twitter account to attack Davutoğlu’s house during the Gezi Park demonstrations last year, the prime minister said, noting that the suspect was found later. The Constitutional Court cannot protect a family, he said.
“The Constitutional Court cannot guarantee freedom from insults for four hours,” Davutoğlu stated.
“It’s the easy way to talk about freedom in these cases. It’s not to be praised by some people, but the protection of each and every right of citizens that will put freedom on a real ground, that the judiciary should consider,” he said.
Top court cannot protect my rights, Turkish PM says
3115 views