Transport back to normal in Istanbul after power cut

Transport back to normal in Istanbul after power cut

 

Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality said on Saturday that all trips were back to regular in subway and tramway lines.

Municipality announced that they began to transmit electricity to the city gradually.

Also, TEIAS (Turkey Electricity Transmission Corp.) stated that 80 percent of the system was restored, and power cut would completely end soon, Worldbulletin reports.

The breakdown at a power station in northwest Turkey caused power cuts on Saturday in the country's largest city, Istanbul, and several others.

Subway lines and trams stopped working in Istanbul, a city of 17 million, causing traffic jams on the main roads. With heating systems shut down, residents were left in freezing temperatures.

"It's a technical problem, and we expect the issue to be resolved soon," Istanbul Governor Huseyin Avni Mutlu told the state-run Anatolian news agency.

Energy Ministry officials said the cut had been caused by a system failure in a gas-fired power plant in the northwestern industrial city of Bursa.

The outage began at around 1 p.m. (11:00 GMT) in Istanbul.

Also affected were the cities of Sakarya, Kocaeli, Tekirdag, Kirklareli and Edirne. (Writing by Ece Toksabay; Editing by Alessandra Rizzo), Reuters reports.

 

 

3000 views
We use cookies and collect personal data through Yandex.Metrica in order to provide you with the best possible experience on our website.