Turkey lifts block on access to Twitter

Turkey lifts block on access to Twitter

Turkey has lifted a ban on access to Twitter after temporarily blocking the website after removing footage of a Turkish prosecutor who was killed while being held hostage last week, Anadolu Agency reports.


Last Friday, the Istanbul Criminal Court of First Instance ruled to block access to social media sites that continued to publish content and footage relating to the death of public prosecutor Mehmet Selim Kiraz, RIA Novosti reports.Kiraz was taken hostage by an outlawed Revolutionary People's Liberation Party last week at Istanbul's Caglayan Courthouse and was shot by his captors. A photograph of him with a gun to his the head was spread on social networks and published by some Turkish media.Prime Minister of Turkey Ahmet Davutoglu condemned the publication of Kiraz's photograph and said that it affects the feelings of the relatives of the prosecutor.

Last Friday, the Istanbul Criminal Court of First Instance ruled to block access to social media sites that continued to publish content and footage relating to the death of public prosecutor Mehmet Selim Kiraz, RIA Novosti reports.


Kiraz was taken hostage by an outlawed Revolutionary People's Liberation Party last week at Istanbul's Caglayan Courthouse and was shot by his captors. A photograph of him with a gun to his the head was spread on social networks and published by some Turkish media.


Prime Minister of Turkey Ahmet Davutoglu condemned the publication of Kiraz's photograph and said that it affects the feelings of the relatives of the prosecutor.

 

4940 views
We use cookies and collect personal data through Yandex.Metrica in order to provide you with the best possible experience on our website.