Iran has dismissed a Daily Telegraph report on the construction of a
base in Syria, Trend reports.
Spokesman of the Iranian Foreign Ministry Ramin Mehmanparast said on
Tuesday that Western media are preparing for intervention into the
region and need to increase tensions. They want to draw social
attention from problems in their own states, he said.
The Daily Telegraph reported last week that Iran had agreed to
construct a military base on the Syrian coast worth millions of
dollars to improve transport of weapons and military equipment. A deal
was reached at an Iranian-Syrian meeting in the airport of Latakia.
The base is to be built next year, the paper says.