Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu, the head of the Republican People’s Party, and Peace and Democracy Party co-chair Gültan Kışanak hold Prime Minster Recep Tayyip Erdoğan ‘pesonally responsible’ for the killing of 34 civilians in Uludere, Hurriyet Daily News reports on Wednesday.
“The Uludere incident will not leave Erdoğan in peace unless he extends a sincere apology. The government bears responsibility for this tragedy. The prime minister will eventually be held accountable for it. There will no lapse of time for it,” Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu, the head of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), said at his party’s parliamentary group meeting.
Kılıçdaroğlu also dismissed Erdoğan’s defense of the conduct of the police who failed to stop the two suicide bombers in Kayseri last week even though they tailed them for some time. “Civilians were killed at Uludere as if they were terrorists, but terrorists at Kayseri were not stopped, as if they were civilians,” he said.
Peace and Democracy Party (BDP) co-chair Gültan Kışanak, for her part, said Erdoğan’s comments earlier in the day that suggested a link between the 34 slain smugglers and Kurdish militants were yet more proof that “he personally was behind the massacre” at Uludere.