US says conference on WMD-free Middle East cancelled

US says conference on WMD-free Middle East cancelled

The United States said Friday a conference on a Middle East free of weapons of mass destruction has been scrapped because of conditions in the region and lack of consensus among the states involved, Now Lebanon reports on Saturday.

The conference, which was mooted in a 2010 review of the Non-Proliferation Treaty, was supposed to have been held next month in Finland.

But State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland said states in the region had been unable to agree on "acceptable conditions for a conference" and she cited "present conditions in the Middle East" as standing in the way.

The announcement comes amid a flare up in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict in Gaza, civil war in Syria and an unsettled political situation in Egypt.

3310 views
We use cookies and collect personal data through Yandex.Metrica in order to provide you with the best possible experience on our website.