The Assad reginme has pressed the button to implement “Plan B” following the latest killings in Banias, Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu says, claiming that Syrian President Bashar al-Assad is launching a fifth step to create a safety corridor for Nusayris between the central city of Homs and Lebanon, Hürriyet Daily News reports.
During a phone conversation with his U.S. counterpart, Secretary of State John Kerry on May 6, Davutoğlu conveyed his concerns about the latest alleged massacre by Damascus.
Activists reported that the bodies of at least 62 people had been found over the weekend in a Sunni district of the port city of Banias after an assault by the government, Hürriyet informs.
The Turkish foreign minister also told Hürriyet that the Assad regime and Shabiha forces were trying to “cleanse” the corridor between Homs and Lebanon and likened this strategy to the ethnic cleansing of the 1990s in Srebrenica and eastern Bosnia that was conducted with the goal of creating a Serb-dominated area free of Bosniaks.