Blasts in Buinaksk

Five people were killed and over 30 injured in the Sunday's, in Sunday's attack on a military unit in the southern Russian republic of Dagestan, RIA Novosti reports.

A Zhiguli car packed with explosives and driven by a suicide bomber detonated near the town of Buinaksk after ramming the gates of the military unit, making part of the 136th motorized rifle brigade, early on Sunday. The unit's guard blocked the car, preventing a larger death toll. Previously 3 casualties were reported.

The second explosion rocked the town as investigators were heading to the site. The second bomb exploded on the way of a police car after the car passed the place where the bomb was planted, so no one was killed or injured.

Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has ordered measures to help families of those affected in Sunday's attack on a military unit in the southern Russian republic of Dagestan, the Kremlin's press service said.

Russian Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov put Medvedev in the situation in the city of Buinaksk, on the outskirts of which a car packed with explosives and driven by a suicide bomber detonated after ramming the gates of military unit.

Reports of the number of injured by different sources varied from 33 to 39. Many of those injured were in serious condition.

The police said the power of the explosive device was equivalent to up to 100 kg of TNT.

A Defense Ministry spokesman said the ministry has dispatched a special commission led by acting Southern Military District commander Maj. Gen. Alexander Galkin to the site of the terrorist attack.Criminal proceedings over the terrorist attack have been initiated, the Russian Investigation Committee reported.

Servicemen in Buinaksk have repeatedly come under terrorist attacks. In July this year, servicemen of the 136th motorized rifle brigade came under fire. Three people were killed.

3510 views
We use cookies and collect personal data through Yandex.Metrica in order to provide you with the best possible experience on our website.