Andrey Przhezdomsky, an advisor to the head of the National Anti-Terrorism Committee, said that 2,976 anonymous terrorism calls had been made in 2013, RIA Novosti reports.
About a thousand have been made this year.
Almost 85% of the calls are made using cellphones. Sergey Knigin, the head of an FSB unit, said that about 90% of “telephone terrorists” were identified.
According to a clarification note of Russian law enforcers, over 1,300 false terrorism calls were made in 2009, 1,600 in 2010, 2,100 in 2011, 2,400 in 2012 and 2,200 in 2013 (according to November 30 data).