World Press on Iran, Turkey and the Caucasus (January 11, 2011)

The Guardian reports that Iran's intelligence chief today claimed that more than 10 people arrested in connection with the killing of a nuclear physicist last year were linked to the Israeli spy agency, Mossad. Heidar Moslehi revealed few new details to bolster the claim, made a day earlier, that Tehran's investigation into the killing had led its agents to infiltrate the Mossad. The Iranian intelligence ministry displayed communication devices, a bomb and several handguns - one fitted with a silencer - to reporters, saying they had been seized from the suspects. Iran had uncovered information about Israeli plots against other nations in the region, Moslehi said, and would share the intelligence with them.

The Turkish information agency Hurriyet touched on the same theme. It added that on Monday, Iran's state TV broadcast a purported confession by one of those arrested in which the unidentified young man said he underwent training in Israel on how to place bombs on cars. The man said he received training at a military camp between Tel Aviv and Jerusalem.

Hurriyet published an article headlined "Turkey urges stronger cooperation with Arab nations." It says that Turkey's prime minister called on Arab nations Tuesday to boost cooperation with Ankara and to brush aside disputes that weakened ties in the past. Erdogan's Islamist-rooted government has boosted Turkey's image and popularity tremendously in the Arab world, especially after the premier's vehement criticism of Israel following its devastating war on the Gaza Strip two years ago. The Turkish premier is in Kuwait heading a 500-strong official and business delegation, looking to boost economic and political ties with this oil-rich Gulf state. On Monday, the two countries signed a memorandum of understanding on industrial cooperation.

Another article published by Hurriyet says that nuclear talks between the Iranian government and Western powers will resume in Istanbul on Jan 21, Tehran confirms, just one week after it extended invitations to several countries to inspect its nuclear facilities. The talks are aimed at resolving a dispute over Iran's nuclear program, which world powers fear is masking a weapons drive but which Tehran insists is entirely for peaceful purposes. Russia on Tuesday said it was interested in Iran's invitation to inspect its nuclear facilities, saying the offer represented a step toward dialogue on the nuclear dispute.

Meanwhile, Press TV published the interview of a senior Iranian lawmaker, who has urged the six Western countries slated to hold talks with the Islamic Republic later this month to make up for their past "mistakes". On the upcoming talks between Iran and the P5+1 -- which is comprised of the five permanent members of the UN Security Council plus Germany -- the top parliamentarian said Tehran has always welcomed dialogue.

"Russia mulling Iran's nuclear invitation" is an article published by the Iranian information agency Press TV. It says that Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov has said Moscow is considering whether to accept Tehran's invitation to tour Iranian nuclear facilities. The Russian official pointed out that the Iranian move showed "readiness to start a certain dialogue on this important subject." Iranian officials and lawmakers have hailed the invitation as a major step toward showing the international community of Iran's policy of "nuclear transparency."

3090 views
We use cookies and collect personal data through Yandex.Metrica in order to provide you with the best possible experience on our website.